Thursday 28 April 2011

New Shamanic Experiences

Newsletter - 26 April 2011

Today it is exactly four months since we left South Africa, so I find myself musing about the journey so far.



One concern I had before leaving for the UK was that I would not have the opportunity to partake in some of the shamanic rituals that have been so much a part of my life over the years. I couldn't see vision quests, drumming circles, sweat lodges and billowing smudge sticks being an integral part of our lives, due to close proximity in which people live here in the UK. I also wondered how one could get totally away from everyone and out into nature, the way it is so easy to do in Africa. Here it feels like every piece of land has already been walked on, and humanity is never far away, however far you walk out into the fields.

But to my surprise I have had great many shamanic connections – although of a somewhat different kind. The first thing which occurred to me was how aware one becomes of the weather and of changes in

climate. It is an old joke – and is still very much the case I must say – that all English conversations kick off by talking about the weather. But here one is definitely more acutely aware of the fluctuating climatic conditions and the changing seasons – something I was far less aware of in the relatively constant climate in Johannesburg. It becomes much easier to understand why our forefathers so conscientiously celebrated the solstices, equinoxes, and harvest times.

We are also particularly blessed because we live in a fairly high part of Cheltenham. This means we can see the sunrise over one set of hills from the main bedroom, and the sunset over the opposite hills from our guest room. That is, when the sun shines of course – which I must admit has been fairly regularly in the past few weeks.

Ronnie and I have always been very aware of Animal Medicine and our Ted Andrews “bibles” Animal-Speak and Animal-Wise are constant companions whenever we travel. We have encountered regular and timely messages from butterflies, bees, ladybirds, robins, blackbirds, crows, squirrels and even worms. So while there is no shortage of small wildlife around us, I do miss the more personal love we had with our dogs. And the dogs here never bark! I must find out if they cut their vocal chords or something, but their silence seems quite eerie to me – especially on rubbish collecting day!

And we do have our giraffe at the front door! He may only be made of wood, but he does remind us of our African roots, and of the attributes associated with Giraffe Medicine. The long neck symbolises a bridge between the upper and lower realms, and hence the ability to cross over into new territories and new perceptions. This, combined with giraffe’s exceptional eyesight makes it a totem representing far-sightedness and the ability to see ahead towards new horizons. Quite appropriate, given what we are currently doing in our lives and possibly one reason why we were so adamant that Giraffe should come with us from Africa!